I have neglected my blog lately because I was bidding adieu to my family; traveling to see friends; and then moving to Adelaide, Australia -- my own personal Bizarro World, where the veneer is familiar but below the surface is a whole new world. I am learning what food is available in grocery stores; what size clothing I wear here; why people put sausages in a slice of bread rather than a bun; being annoyed at the Internet; and mostly, TRYING to figure out what on earth these people are saying! The accent is cute, yes, (is it condescending to call it "cute"?) but many of the expressions are completely beyond me! We'll get into those later. I just wanted to announce that I'm back!
And now I'm going to go watch "Brothers & Sisters." I think I might like this show. This is the third time I've watched it and so I guess it is becoming a habit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Saw your AP article on the lights going out in various parts of the world.
How about reporting on the NIPCC meeting of about 500 people - scientists, environmentalist, economists, and others who recently met in New York City?
I have not seen anything in the major media on this meeting.
Dear Ms. Smith
I just read your AP article on the Pope's visit to your country. One small correction is necessary: The prohibitions against abortion, artificial contraception and homosexual activity are not the pope's policies, as you write, but rather the teachings of the Universal Church. They have been so for almost 2000 years. These teachings are arrived at through the teachings of Jesus the Christ, whom we believe is the Son of God and IS God. Any Pope who would even try to change any of the above teachings would not be representing the Catholic Faith. Thanks, and G"Day-Tim Woods, Illinois, USA
Hello Tanalee, This is your New Orleans Taxi Driver. Oh, I like the picture on this site Hope all os well. Keep in Touch. CONTI942@AOL.COM
Dear Ms. Smith:
I tried har to find an email address for you, but no luck, so I am posting this message here.
Just read your piece about Lucas Moeller. What struck me is that even the people who support the Moeller's application for permanent residency in Australia seem to do so only on the limited grounds that the benefits to the community of recruiting a doctor outweigh the disadvantage of admitting a youngster with Down syndrome. With respect, that misses the point.
I have two identical twin grandsons with Down syndrome, and I can tell you with absolute assurance, no compensating factor is needed to justify their huge and wonderful presence in in my life and the life of their community. They live just over 100 kilometres from me, and I make the trip several times a month just to get an infusion of the energy, spirit, excitement, joy, and love Josh and Jacob bring into the world.
Obviously, factors like energy, spirit, excitement, joy, and love played no role in the evaluation process that excluded Lucas. In lieu of discernment, bureaucrats offered speculation about future health costs to camoflage their discriminatory ruling. What evidence is there to support the anonymous health department spokesperson's claim that, without a health requirement excluding children with Down syndrome, "the costs to the community and health system would not be sustainable?" None. Just ignorance, fear and prejudice.
To argue that Lucas should be admitted because his physician-father is worth the price is to accept the hateful calculus that assumed this young lad was without worth in his own right. Australia's loss here is not the loss of medical services; it's the loss of Lucas and thousands like him.
The Moellers don't need an exception to Australia's practice of excluding families of Down children. Australia needs to scrap this odious policy altogether.
Thank you for shedding light on this situation.
Best regards,
Parker Donham
Kempt Head, Nova Scotia
parker [at] donham.ca
brTanalee,
You are hard to track down. Can I add you to my blog? How are you? Australia? Wow. Send an email when you get a chance. marniegoulding@yahoo.com
Marnie
Well I to but I contemplate the post should prepare more info then it has.
Hey there,
I'd love to have a quick chat to you about an article you wrote for the NY Times. Please call me or email sgilkeson@nine.com.au 0408 224 880. Thanks Skye (60 Minutes at Nine).
Post a Comment